Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
July 09, 2013
- Close south and west facing window shades during the day. You don’t want to let in unwanted heat and humidity. You can ventilate your home by opening windows and using fans in the evening.
- Install white window shades or mini-blinds. They can reduce solar heat gain by 40-50 percent!
- Hanging tightly woven screens or bamboo shades outside the window during the summer can stop 60-80 percent of the sun’s heat from getting to the windows.
- Install awnings on south facing windows to provide shade where overhangs are insufficient.
- Use ceiling fans and other fans to increase comfort levels at higher thermostat settings.